About Me

Sunday, January 7, 2024

Ottawa Senators Jersey Concept Set

     Welcome back, fellas! Today, we're crossing borders up north, as I'll show you my concept for the Ottawa Senators.

    Ever since 1992, the Sens have a spotty track record of having a good-looking jersey set. Their most recent redesign involves them going back to their inaugural jerseys, albeit with some slight modifications.

2021-Present set
Courtesy of nhluniforms.com

1993-95 set
Courtesy of nhluniforms.com










    In between those two jerseys, Ottawa fans have seen their players wearing jerseys that ranged from disappointment to disgust. For example, when Reebok took over as a supplier for all NHL teams, the Sens opted to wear a templated version that is far more appropriate for training than wearing them in-game. And when the mantle passed on to Adidas, they threw the opportunity to redesign their jersey and stuck to their training sweaters. As for the alternates, let's just say they are of the mixed-bag variety.

    But enough talk. Here's what I came up with!


    As you can see here, my main inspiration for this set is their inaugural jerseys. But there is a twist in the form of their striping. I've gone for a subtle callback to their original Senators incarnation when they used to wear barber-pole stripes (a motif they used both for their 2014 Heritage Classic design, their 2017 Cennetenial Classic design, and the 2011 alternate which I showed to you via link). Essentially, I take their aforementioned inaugural set and throw a bit of white in it. I also added a stripe onto the yoke and applied the same thing to their collar treatment. Speaking of collars, I added laces so I could make my concept a little more traditional in an otherwise fairly modern set, while the font I've used is from their first alternate (which I also linked in this post) so now it looks more modern without straying too far away towards traditional. Completing this set is their alternate logo being promoted to primary status with the shoulder patch coming from -where else- their inaugural jerseys. Yeah, I think I like the Sens when turn back the clock to Year 1 three years ago.

    The away version is the same thing, where black and white swapped places with each other. The only difference is that I made the sleeve cuffs and bottom hem black so it wouldn't look too white. Tying together with the set are the fully black equipment including the helmet, glove, and pants. If it ain't broke, why fix it?


    I also made two other alternates of the jersey. The red jersey is pretty much the same thing as the main two, only that it has a black yoke to balance out the colour scheme. I fear there may not be enough black to distinguish it from other red jerseys in the league. The gold jersey, however, is where I take a little detour in terms of design. In the planning phase, I experimented with gold because their alternate from 2001 has gold in it as well. This made me wonder what would a gold Senators jersey look like, so I've come up with this. First, the two barberpole-esque striping is now converted into a standard Northwestern stripe with the colour of black-white-red-white-black. Then, the yoke stripe is now turned into a red square yoke bordering with white and black. Finally, I made the Peace Tower logo their primary and went with the traditional block font. You notice that the helmet and gloves are of a different colour than the others. That's intentional on my part to increase the colour balance, as I figured that I throw off said balance if I kept the black helmet and gloves.

    Well, that's it for me then. As always, C&C is appreciated. See you in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Winnipeg Jets Jersey Concept

      Welcome back, folks. You might notice that I've updated the colour scheme of my blog site has gone from dark blue & white to d...